Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Short Story to Movie Epic


Why do writers and directors feel compelled to turn a short story into an epic length film? That is the question I asked myself over and over again as I sat through the 2 hour and 45 minute marathon that is “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”. Based on a 56 page short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, this tale follows the life of a boy born old and grows younger. I found this premise intriguing so I gave it a shot on DVD. I’m glad I did not sit through it in the theater. It was slow from start to finish and the sound quality was low (I had to turn the TV up to hear it). Following Benjamin’s life was interesting, but too much “time” was wasted on some points in his life, especially when he begins life with his love interest, which you know is going to happen. This film easily could have been done in under 2 hours. Please stop trying to make the next “Gone With the Wind” which really was an epic novel. 2 Eddies out of 4.

Other lengthy notable movies based on short stories:
“Death of a Salesman” (2 hours)
based on Arthur Miller’s 72 page play of the same name.
“Shawshank Redemption” (2 hours 22 minutes)
based on Stephen King’s 102 page story “Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption”

Short movies from short stories:
“Stand By Me” (1 hour 28 minutes)
based on Stephen King’s 153 page story “The Body”
“Apt Pupil” (1 hour 42 minutes)
based on Stephen King’s 195 page story of the same name.

No comments:

Post a Comment